Alan Kent, Head of Financial Services for DJ Alexander, shares with us the options available and decisions to consider, for those looking to buy a property.
What are the decisions you have to make?
Establish a preference – What type of property do you want, how many bedrooms, and what location would you consider?
Decide on a budget – What is your maximum purchase price, what will be the running and mortgage costs, have you thought about any on-going maintenance?
Source the right home – Use websites such as Rightmove/Zoopla etc. to suss out what kind of property you are looking for, speak with estate agents, recruit a property finder, discuss with friends, colleagues and business connections.
Make an offer to buy – Decide when it is right to make an offer - and be certain of your decision!
What help is available to those buying a home?
Three key people who will help you through the process;
- Estate agent – Sales negotiator who will generally conduct the viewing, provide the property information. Acts on behalf the vendor to finalise a sale price for the property.
- Solicitor – A legal conveyancer who will give guidance on the property, the sales process including offers, while also completing the legal journey to finalising the purchase and achieving home ownership
- Mortgage Advisor – Traditionally this will be a broker who looks at the whole of the market and acts impartially to obtain the best financial solution available to any client. They will provide advice on the best mortgage and any protection required to complete the purchase.
What financial support is available;
- LIFT – Low income initiative for FTB
- Help to Buy - Deposit support to help buy a new-build home
- https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk is a great website to find out more. Or set up a meeting with Alan, by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org